Paris, September 25th 1839 – September 1910, Paris
The Edmond Eugene Valton mentor was Thomas Couture (1815-1879).
The Paris “Musée d’Orsay” has a portrait of this master done by The Edmond Eugene Valton. He was going to Ecouen for business reasons. He may have incidentally installed his easel somewhere in the village but nothing proves that he moved there.
In November 29th 1892, Alphonse Eugene Butel, artist painter and designer, and Edmond Eugene Valton, same profession, under the name of Butel and Valton Company, borrowed 50000 F from Charles Edouard Frere. On March 12th 1893, they officially create the Butel and Valton Company to manufacture scenic paintings and designs for theaters. The Company leased from Mr Robecchi, artist painter, a large workshop and dependences located “rue de Lauzun” (Lauzun street) in Paris. The lease begins on January 1st 1890 and is for a duration of nine years. The rent is 6000 F a year.
In 1897, Edmond Eugene Valton asked Giulia, Charles Edouard Frere widow, and son Gabriel, to extend until 1909 the contract the Company has with them. He borrows again 5000 F from them.
For further information, please read the book “L’Ecole d’Ecouen, une colonie de peintres au XIXéme siècle”, unfortunately only available in French for the time being (but we are working on it).